It is so crazy how fast time is flying by! I have been out of school for almost a year now and it is so crazy to think and know that I am officially done University! I had the honour of celebrating my boyfriend’s graduation this weekend and I thought I would spend some time reminiscing about my own by sharing a few thoughts and realizations.
Here are some things I have learned and realized Post-Graduation:
- There will be no more 11 am wakeup times and a Friday off – you will most likely be living in a 9am-5pm world after graduation.
- Waking up 5-10 minutes before you need to be somewhere won’t cut it anymore – living in residence is no more than a memory now – no more rushing around and barely putting any effort into how you look!
- Make living with your parents work – living on your own may not be financially sensible right now, especially if you are in debt from your schooling. Be willing to accept help, you can always pay the favour back later!
- Friendships are going to shift as your friends may be moving back to their hometowns, staying behind or even traveling abroad. You have to make an effort to stay in touch with friends as they no longer live in the same residence, across the street or available to meet up 24/7. Take the time to invest in the friends that matter and nurture your relationships.
- Your life after graduation may be a time of uncertainty – embrace it and enjoy it as much as you can! Travel, take up a new hobby and relax! Live your life, live in the moment and don’t always worry about what your next step is or what you’re supposed to do next.
- Engagement and baby announcements on Facebook and Instagram start becoming so normal you will hardly even notice anymore.
- You will start to think about money a lot more, so make sure you have a financial plan and remember that money does not buy happiness!
- Sticking to a daily/weekly routine may be difficult at first but it’s important to get yourself back in a routine in order to stay motivated and to encourage yourself to be productive!
- Don’t worry if you still don’t know what you want to do when you “grow up” – be proactive in terms of gaining new experiences, whether that’s through a job or volunteering – be open to new opportunities!
- BE PATIENT – this is key. Your time will come. Stay positive.
Welcome to the “real world”! It may not be exactly what you pictured it to be, but it will provide you with choices that you will have to make every day in order to appreciate the opportunities you have to work towards building the life you have been dreaming about for the last few years. I will always treasure my time in University, but I am so excited to see what comes next!